Thursday, April 17, 2014

Now I've heard everything

I have come to accept that when you are pregnant you will receive unsolicited advice and questions from strangers. There is just something about a pregnant belly that makes otherwise rational people loose all boundaries. This doesn't bother me any more. In fact, I kind of get a kick out of some of the crazy comments. However today I got maybe the strangest one I have ever heard.

Today Henson and I made a trip to the post office to get stamps. The postman there recognizes us, and he's very nice. While we were waiting I picked up Henson for a minute so he could see something. The postman reacted in an embarrassingly  loud voice, as if I were committing a crime. "Don't pick him up, you have a baby!" He continues to tell me that if I lift too much weight while pregnant my baby will be born with a hernia. 

Yes, a hernia... And yes, not me, the baby... 

It took a minute for the absurdity of what he said to sink in. How do you respond to that? I give myself credit for keeping a straight face until I made it to the car. I challenge anyone to come up with a crazier piece of pregnancy advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment