Monday, July 4, 2016

Emotional indulgence

Every so often my emotional side takes over for my practical side, and I find myself in a particularly sentimental mood. This afternoon was one of those days. Perhaps it's because my oldest turned five today, or because I'm in that new baby phase. Or maybe it's just that I've been playing the role of practical and responsible adult too long. 

Whatever the reason, this afternoon I found myself reflecting on past and present, and couldn't help feeling nostalgic.  Not sad, just more than usually sentimental.  There are so many things I look forward to about the future, but at the same time its sometimes hard to watch my kids grow up, friends move away, and see life changing in different ways. 

A word of advice: do not listen to "It Won't Be Like This For Long" on your child's birthday, when you're already feeling emotional, and while you are holding a sleeping newborn. That is, not unless you want a good cry.

Despite being completely sappy and ruining my mascara, it is a nice song, so I wanted to share it for anyone else feeling equally sentimental today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment