Tuesday, November 8, 2016

At the close of this election

Politics is not everything, and I'm grateful that my life does not center on only that. Unfortunately, it does impact us all in different ways. This is what I'm feeling as I watch the results of the election. Doubtless many will not agree, but perhaps some will sympathize with the sentiment.

We all talk about wanting unity. Needing to pull together and support each other. That is certainly something I believe in, but just for today, I'll cry.

I'll cry because there is so much more anger around me than I thought. I'll cry because I don't want my children to think that hate and fear are acceptable ways to manipulate others. I'll cry for the countless immigrants who fight for safer homes. I'll cry for all of my friends who are black, homosexual, undocumented, disabled. I'll cry for my Hispanic children, and for their family members who now have to fear. I'll cry for the women who cherish the right to vote and who prayed to see the first female president. I'll cry for the lack of compassion I've witnessed. I'll cry for all those who are also feeling confused, upset, scared, disillusioned, and discouraged.

Tomorrow I will unite with those around me to do what I can within my community to continue spreading love, inclusion, and progress. But today I'll cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment